Choose the correct answers:
- Sachiko is a college student. She is devoted __________ (to work, to working) hard in all her courses.
- She is also dedicated __________ (to look after, to looking after) her sick father.
- Therefore, in addition __________ (to attend, to attending) college, she is also the caregiver of her father.
In most cases, “to” is followed by a base form of verb to form an infinitive. However, in some expressions, verb-ing (a gerund) is used after “to”. In the latter case, “to” is a preposition. Other examples include:
look forward to, be/get/become/grow used to, be/get/become/grow accustomed to, be devoted to, devote oneself to, commit oneself to, dedicate oneself to, be opposed to, oppose to, object to…
- in Sentence #1, “be devoted to + verb-ing”: She is devoted to working…
- in Sentence #2, “be dedicated to + verb-ing”: She is also dedicated to looking…
- in Sentence #3, “in addition to + verb-ing”: In addition to attending college…
Sachiko’s father wants to get stronger. He commits himself __________ (to walk, to walking) two hours every day. Sachiko opposes __________ (to leave, to leaving) her father alone for so long, but he looks forward __________ (to live, to living) independently.
to working; to looking; to attending
to walking; to leaving; to living