Choose the correct answers:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises adults __________ (walk, to walk, walking) briskly for 150 minutes each week.
- CDC also advises them __________ (run, to run, running) for 75 minutes every week for a healthy body.
- For greater health benefits, CDC advises __________ (exercise, to exercise, exercising) longer than the recommended number of minutes.
The verb “advise” is often used in two ways:
advise + a person + to + base verb
advise + verb-ing
Here, “to + base verb” is called an infinitive. “Verb-ing” is called a gerund.
- In Sentence #1, advises + adults (people) + to + walk (base verb)
- In Sentence #2, advises + them (people) + to + run (base verb)
- In Sentence #3, advices + exercising (verb-ing)
Some professional trainers advise Olympic long-distance runners __________ (run, to run, running) over 100 miles per week. They also advise __________ (do, to do, doing) vigorous strength training. However, they do not advise non-athletes __________ (exercise, to exercise, exercising) that much.
to walk; to run; exercising
to run; doing; to exercise