Lesson 12 everyone needs / need…
Choose the correct answers:
- Everyone __________ (needs, need) to attend the team meeting this afternoon.
- Someone __________ (is going to, are going to) introduce the new leadership structure at the meeting.
- Something important __________ (has changed, have changed) in the company. All of the employees __________ (feels, feel) a bit nervous.
When an indefinite pronoun acts as the subject of a sentence, understand it as “he”, “she”, or “it”. Therefore, a singular form of the verb should be used. However, when the subject is a plural noun, understand it as “they”, and the verb must take the plural form as well.
- In Sentence #1, everyone = he or she (He or she needs…)
- In Sentence #2, someone = he or she (He or she is…)
- In Sentence #3, something = it (It has…); all of the employees = they (They feel…)
When everyone __________ (does, do) his or her best, the company benefits. Employers __________ (manages, manage) the business well, and the employees __________ (is, are) willing to contribute. No one __________ (dodges, dodge) responsibilities.
needs; is going to; has changed; feel
does; manage; are; dodges